640 Seventh Street West, Columbia Falls, Montana
Adult Bible Class
8:30 & 11:00 a.m.
Who We Are
Our Redeemer Lutheran Church is part of the theological confession known as The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Founded in 1956 as a mission church, the congregation and its activities have changed and grown with the membership. But, our belief in the saving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ is unchanged, and we remain fervent in our mission to spread the Good News and serve our neighbors.
What We Believe
In the spring of 1955, the Mission Board of the Montana District - LCMS called Reverend Walter Holzheimer from LCMS seminary to serve as a missionary-at-large for the Columbia Falls and Whitefish area. Forty-one people attended a gathering of interested Lutherans on the lawn of Pastor Holzheimer's rented home that summer. They began to plan for worship services and a Sunday School, which began meeting regularly on August 14, 1955 in the CIO union hall in Columbia Falls.
The congregation was officially organized on March 18, 1956, now meeting in the basement of a three bedroom home on 7th Avenue West that also served as the parsonage. In 1958, the congregation dedicated a new church building across the street that now serves educational purposes. Pastor Holzheimer served until 1960, conducting additional church services in Whitefish, West Glacier, and the North Fork area near the Canadian border.
The Lutherans from Whitefish formed St. Peter's Lutheran Church in 1960. The dual parishes of Our Redeemer and St. Peter's were served by Pastor James Schackel from 1960-67, Pastor Clarence Langhans from 1967-74, Pastor Myron Wackler from 1974-80, and by Pastor Elden Martin from 1980-85. During this time, the Our Redeemer congregation grew to over 150 members with about 70 people regularly attended Sunday worship.
Pastor Michael Warmbier arrived fresh from LCMS seminary in 1985. Pastor Warmbier's tenure was marked by growth as attendance increased to about 90 each Sunday. Congregational growth and the potential for growth in the Flathead Valley led to separation of the Columbia Falls and Whitefish parishes in 1988. Pastor Warmbier continued to serve Our Redeemer Lutheran Church until 1993.
Pastor Terry Forke served Our Redeemer from 1993 to 2006. The congregation built a new sanctuary and fellowship hall adjoining the existing church building in 1997-98. Members of the congregation did much of the construction, helped by the Laborers for Christ. The original building was converted to classrooms and other educational purposes. The congregation started King's Kids Preschool in 1999, and began an on-going mission to the Browning community in 2005. Pastor Forke left Our Redeemer in 2006 to become President of the Montana District - LCMS.
Pastor Matthew Nelson arrived in 2007, having previously served as an LCMS rural missionary in southern Utah. The congregation currently has 171 members. About 120 people regularly attend Sunday worship services. The King’s Kids Preschool currently serves 21 students.